23-years-old girl dies in SKIMS after ‘mismatched’ blood transfusion
Srinagar : A 23-years-old girl, who allegedly suffered blood transfusion reaction at Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Science (SKIMS) Soura last week breathed her last on Thursday evening.
Mir Anjum, daughter of Mohd Akram, a resident of central Kashmir’s Charari Shareef area of Budgam district was admitted to the SKIMS on March 29 after she passed blood with stool.
Her family accused that she was infused wrong blood group instead of O+ve, following which she went into coma.
After an inquiry, a probe report was filed by the hospital.
“There is no case of a mismatched transfusion, however, the patient seems to have got an anaphylactic reaction on transfusion of about 50 ml of blood on March 30 which was stopped immediately. The patient was treated for the same and responded well,” read the report.
One of the doctors verbally speaking with the family of Anjum, admitted that the blood was mismatching.
Reports quoted Medical Superintendent SKIMS Hospital, Dr. Farooq Ahmad Jan as saying that, Anjum had been diagnosed with liver disease, Hepatic Vein Cavernoma.
The girl ( Mir Anjum) became unstable on 31st March and was shifted to ICU where she was undergoing treatment with family alleging carelessness.
Earlier a media report said that, five patients have died due to blood transfusion in the past one month suspecting use of substandard equipment in the blood bank and during transfusion process.
“Two patients died in a surgical intensive care unit, one in gastroenterology, on in general surgery and the fifth one in endocrinology,” a local daily quoted a doctor as saying.
As per doctors use of inferior quality material was the leading cause of the transfusion reaction putting patients at risks and life-threatening ailments.