Srinagar: Director General Prisons, Dilbag Singh on Sunday visited Central Jail premises Srinagar to take stock of the damages caused during the intervening night of 4th and 5th April by the unruly , unlawful acts of violence and arson by the jail inmates.

Inspector General of Police Kashmir Zone, Shri S.P. Pani, SSP Central Jail Srinagar and SP North Zone City Srinagar accompanied the Director General.

As per the preliminary verifications the jail authorities were carrying out routine repair and renovations in one of the barracks which was vacated after some of the inmates were shifted to a newly constructed block within the same jail premises. While the repair work was on late in the evening after the lockup timing the inmates of the nearby barracks forcefully broke open one of the door of the jail barrack and attacked the labourers, workers on work, jail staff supervising and the staff on night duty causing injuries to them. They snatched their work tools and implements.

The spokesman said that, These inmates turned into a mob and using these implements and tools broke open the doors of some other barracks and collected more inmates who joined them in the unlawful acts resulting to more violence. They then rushed to the kitchen block and set it on fire which spread fire to the other barracks on either side. All three buildings went up into the flames. They also took out gas cylinders blasted them near main entrance and security wall of the jail. In the course of violence they kept on pelting stones, damaged the security lights, CCTV cameras, the newly created tin and steel partitions between various blocks. They damaged electric poles supporting cameras and security lights.

In the meantime local Police Station Took cognizance and rushed to the spot along with SDPO. DIG, DC SSP and Zonal SP followed. Fire and Emergency responded quickly but even they were not allowed to gain access. The illegal acts continued till morning despite guided and controlled intervention by all concerned and it could be brought under control only in the morning, he said .

The spokesman said that, Police has registered a case and investigation started.

Director General of Police, J&K has constituted a special investigation team in view of the gravity of the situation, he added .