Quetta Blast : Death Toll Reaches 20
Quetta: Twenty people were killed and dozens injured in a blast that ripped through Pakistan’s Quetta on Friday morning.
Eight Hazara, an FC official and two children were among the dead. At least 48 others, including three security personnel, were injured in the blast, Pak media reported.
DIG Quetta Abdul Razzaq Cheema told Pakistani media that the blast, which shook the Quetta’s Hazarganji sabzi mandi at around 7:35am (Friday) , was caused by an improvised explosive device (IED) that had been hidden among vegetables in the market.
Balochistan Minister for Home, Mir Zia Ullah Langau was quoted as saying by Pak media that, initial investigation suggested it was a suicide bombing, and that it did not target any particular community.
He vowed that justice would be delivered and the perpetrators would be taken to their logical conclusion.
“I was loading a small truck and I heard a huge bang and it seemed as if the earth beneath me had shaken and I fell down,” Irfan Khan, a labourer, told AFP from his hospital bed.
“The atmosphere was filled with black smoke and I could not see anything, I could hear people screaming for help and I was also screaming for help.”
He said the air was “filled with the stinging smell of burnt human flesh”.
Buildings located nearby were also damaged in the blast, Quetta police said.
Violence in Pakistan has dropped significantly since the deadliest-ever militant attack, on the Army Public School in Peshawar in 2014 that left more than 150 people, most of them children, dead.
Pakistan’s PM, Imran Khan condemned the blast in Quetta’s Hazarganji and summoned a report on the incident.
Imran Khan (Pak PM) expressed his grief at the loss of innocent lives, and directed the authorities to ensure the best medical treatment for the injured.
“Deeply saddened & have strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Hazarganji market area of Quetta targeting our innocent people. I have asked for an immediate inquiry & increased security for the ppl. Prayers go to the families of the victims & for early recovery of the injured,” PM Imran tweeted.
Deeply saddened & have strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Hazarganji market area of Quetta targeting our innocent people. I have asked for an immediate inquiry & increased security for the ppl. Prayers go to the families of the victims & for early recovery of the injured.
— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) April 12, 2019